Cost of studying in Canada


Today, Canada is one of the top destinations for international students. It offers a diverse variety of opportunities, skills, multicultural cities and natural beauty. In comparison to destinations like UK, Australia and US, cost of studying in Canada is much lesser.

International students can use an online tool, provided by The Council of Ministers of Education, Canada, to calculate and compare the cost of studying in different universities in Canada. They also provide relevant information documents and other formalities to apply to Canadian universities.  

1. Tuition fees

Tuition fees varies from one university to another in Canada, depending on several factors like - what course or program you’ve chosen to study, whether you are at Undergraduate or post graduate level, and finally whether you’re an international or home student. Home students pay an average of CA$6,900 per year for an undergraduate program while CA$8,098 per year for a graduate degree.

a) Undergraduate tuition fees in Canada

Average tuition fees for international students are CA$28,150 per year. Medicine and Engineering are little more expensive with an average of CA$31,742 per year while humanities programs are cheaper. Fees for all management and business programs are lower than the national average, at CA$27,000 per year.

b) Postgraduate tuition fees in Canada

Tuition fees for most of the postgraduate courses are generally lower, however depends on program. According to Statistics, average postgraduate tuition fee is CA$16,997. As is the general scenario worldwide, MBA or executive programs are generally the most expensive ones, with executive MBAs averaging around CA$49,798, while regular MBAs with an average cost of CA$30,570.

2. Cost of living in Canada

Living cost in Canada as per the statistics is around $11,500 on top of your tuition fees, although living expenses vary depending on how big a spend thrift, you’re and which location you are residing in as large cities are more expensive.

The Université de Montréal gives a figure of CA$15,050 per year including accommodation, food, books, course supplies, phone bills and other miscellaneous expenses. Similarly, estimated cost of living in Canada as per the University of British Columbia, located in Vancouver, comes to CA$16,700 per year. According to the recent survey at Mercer Cost of Living Survey, Vancouver and Toronto were declared as the two most expensive Canadian cities to live in, with specially the accommodation being the biggest hole in the pocket.

Student accommodation vary considerably, with CA$3,500-$8,000 for on campus stay, shared accommodation at private house comes to around $9,500 per year plus bills. Staying at university accommodation is often cheaper, with some of them offering great deals at meal plans and other coupons to be availed at the university’s food outlets.

3. Student visa and application fees

If your stay is less than six months then Canadian Student permit is not required else you need to obtain a Canadian study permit which costs CA$150, serves as a student visa for the duration of your stay. Application fees for each university is different and also depends on your country of origin. You may get an application fee waiver if you’re from a developing country.

4. Financial aid to study in Canada

Scholarships and grants are available at many Canadian universities, these include subject-specific grants, sports and academic scholarships at both undergraduate and Postgraduate levels. It is important to apply as early as possible as such grants are limited and very competitive. International applicants must also research scholarship opportunities offered in their home country. Another common source of scholarships to study in Canada is the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program.

5. Student jobs in Canada

To be able to support your education and stay in Canada, students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per semester and full time during his summer and winter breaks, without the need for a work permit. And to qualify for the same- you must have a valid study permit, be a full-time student at Canadian university, be enrolled in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a valid certificate, diploma or degree that is at least six months program.

And finally, to receive all benefits, work permits and other services from government policies you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Team Doyen-Ed